Sunday, January 24, 2016

One of the many reasons I love my job...

One of the many reasons I love my job is the health benefits I receive. Not only is there coverage for doctor and hospital care and prescriptions, but preventative measures are in place to lessen, and even eliminate, the need for such coverage. Preventative measures include a health assessment, biometric screening, and a health tracker. It is a step-by-step process that is rewarded each month. As we complete each step, we check in and monetary discounts are reimbursed at the end of each month in our paycheck.

A preventative measure offered that I am taking advantage of is a health coach. In our first of many phone coaching sessions, we shared our expectations from each other and my goals for healthy living for the next month. We will be meeting by phone at the beginning of each month to share progress, to learn and to set goals for the month ahead. Her name is Elizabeth.

It is a blessing to me to have two health coaches in my life; both of them named Elizabeth. Just a couple of years ago, Elizabeth invited me to a challenge group that changed my life. While there have been ups and downs in the journey, my learning experience has continued. Elizabeth has private messaged me and called me at different times to see how I’m doing. She has also been a wonderful source of encouragement to me personally on Facebook. Since being diagnosed with diabetes, I’ve been in two more of her challenge groups. With her help, my progress has been amazing!

Until I started this job, it had been at least 3-4 years since I had visited a doctor or hospital or taken any medication. In the early months of 2015, I experienced chest pain frequently. My husband and youngest daughter were constantly getting on me to get checked. Finally, in late February, I went to the emergency room and was admitted. What was causing my chest pain was diabetes. My a1c was 9.6 and my reading was almost 300. Now, I needed a doctor and medication.

The care I received at the hospital was phenomenal. Dr. Kinninger has been a blessing to me. Can I tell you how wonderful it is to have a doctor who wants to help you get healthy so you no longer need to take medication? McDowell Hospital and Dr. Kinninger are in the Mission Hospital Network. They offer a diabetic program at the YMCA, located next to McDowell, which includes a class and full unlimited access to the facilities. This is all covered by my insurance.


With all of this support, I can’t help but get healthier; body, mind, and spirit. I’m in good hands. My Father watches over me…and has a few helpers. May I pass it on!

No comments: